Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Fashion Line: Main Concept

I spent a lot of time combing through magazines and fashion shows online to create different mood boards. After a few hours, I looked at everything I had pulled and noticed I was drawn to several recurring themes and jotted down short descriptions as follows:
Natural
Boho
Classic with a trendy edge
Neutrals - earthy tones
Inspired by nature:
       The woods - horns, antlers, bark, stone
Animals - patterns and skins, stones
Relaxed
Lace 
Fringe
Free spirited
Angles
Sequins and beading
Tribal
Layering
Simple
Backing
Beading
Embroidery

Therefore, for my line, I would definitely try and incorporate some type of fringe for a retro-tinged laid back elegance -a bohemian feel while still appearing chic. Flashy colors and busy prints are out of the question so my line with focus on basic blacks and whites as well as neutral, earthy tones. Since my color palette is simple, the cuts for my line become very crucial. Every detail counts so I will rely on embroidery, high gloss materials, eye catching cut outs, and an offbeat combination of materials. For example, my line will incorporate natural elements into cutting edge fashion by using those elements in unexpected ways. The clothes in my line will have touches of leather and skins, as well as fabrics that mimic the way the natural world appears. Further, another way to balance the lines "lack of color" would be with the addition of a contrasting accessory - for example, a bright cluth, metallic pumps, statement jewelry, etc. One of my favorite quotes is from Denis Bruna, curator of the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris, who said "the body has never been natural - it is shaped by the fashions of each era." The quote struck me as a designer as I thought about each different period we focused on this month. However, through the use of natural elements I hope to discover and highlight the simple beauty of the natural form with my line.

Two contemporary designers that have inspired me are Jimmi WZ and The Woods Fine Jewelry.

Jimmi WZ bag
The Woods



First, I am inspired by Jimmi WZ and The Woods collections because of their use of natural elements. Jimmi WZ designs a bag unlike any I have ever seen before. I love the natural look of the rough cut leather and unique horn closure. With the woods, I am inspired with the strong contrast that can be observed throughout the entire line between vintage/modern, rough/smooth, precious/unfussy. Their bespoke designs make every piece special and unique. Similarly, I want consumers to feel like when they purchase an item from my collection, it is something that can not be found elsewhere - whether it be due to design specifically or quality as well. I promise the use of luxurious materials with refined detailing and exotic embroidery to produce a line with innate elegance and unmistakable style.  

No comments:

Post a Comment