Monday, May 20, 2013

History of Fashion Maymester: Inspirtations throughout History

Chloé: 2013







Céline: 2013












While researching, I learned Chloé was among one of the first to create a line that was not only ready to wear but also followed the strict regulations of haute couture. I am aiming to create a line of high fashion using extraordinary materials while still feeling simple, relaxed, comfortable, and classic. First, I am inspired by these designers because while the designs may seem simple and relatively monochromatic, each of the pieces contain an incredible amount of detail that makes it unique. To me, both designers are able to create works of art with their designs. With the additions of intricate beading, elegant lace and embroidery, precise cuts, layering, and folding Chloé distinguishes each and every one of their pieces. The architecture and design of Céline's handbags speaks for itself. However, I am not only inspired by the lines of Célines bags, but also the use of monochrome and natural color palettes. Also, I love how in the third bag down, Céline incorporates the skin yet pairs it with the similar, single colored leather. I want my line's designs to speak for themselves without the use of bright colors and patterns to stand out.


I made a mood board for the architecture and design I am inspired by. I noticed that I am drawn to the clean, sleek lines of contemporary design as well as its lack of color. I also noticed I was inspired by elements of architecture and design in coastal areas. I love the incorporation of natural elements. For my line, I would like to try and create a twist on both techniques.  




As far as the architecture we saw in London, I noticed I was drawn to the long, vertical columns and symmetrical designs. Like the building in Oxford, I like the vertical feel, symmetric design, and intricate detailing in the windows and on the spires. As for bath, I enjoyed the repetition of the arcs incorporate with the columns. Rather than sticking to rectangles the arcs seem to make the architecture seem warmer and more welcoming. Although I want my clothes to have a unique architectural structure, I also want to strive to highlight the natural form of the body. Additionally, I am inspired by the gates of Kensington palace. I enjoy the contrast between the more simple lines of the iron with the intricate, floral detailing of the gold work. If the gates were completely made of black iron, i do not think they would not seem as interesting or eye catching. I love the photo from Hampton Court; however, I am not sure why I am so drawn to the area. This particular part of the building is not that unique architecturally; however, I love the natural growth against the brick. I also appreciate the golden work around the arch. Similarly, in my line I would like to take simple designs and make them unique by adding detailing - just like the gold work attached to the brick. 
Church in Oxford
Roman baths

Arch at Hamton Court

The Gates at Kensington Palace

Historic Dresses 

Lace and embroidery detailing
Embroidery, beading, appliques, and silhouette detailing
2012 dress of the year

Use of feathers and black/white contrast

Very intricate beading
Feathers, silhouette, cut, architecture details
2011 dress of the year


All of the above were chosen from the array of dresses seen on display at the Museum of Fashion in Bath because each dress contains an element that I would like to draw on for my own personal line. Specifically, each dress has a certain amount of detailing through embroidery, ruffles, beading, feathers plus a superb shape, silhouette, and cut that set it apart from others like it. As aforementioned, I want consumers to feel like when they purchase an item from my collection - it is something that can not be found elsewhere - whether it be due to design specifically or quality as well.
















No comments:

Post a Comment